January 19, 2012

winter lager

Friends, readers - Hello!

It is almost the end of J-term, which just feels absolutely bizarre to say. It's been kind of a weird month, but a really good weird month, and I've come to share what I've learned so far. In list form, of course.

1. Buddhist monasteries are the most peaceful places on the planet.
2. Productiveness comes and goes in waves. I've had amazingly productive days this month and I've had ridiculously pathetic days. I'm trying to convince myself that it's okay.
3. I've figured out one part of my current religious identity. We've been talking about identity a lot this month and while everything from my past adds up to who I am right now, at least in terms of religion I've figured out that I'm a pluralist. Not sure what kind of pluralist, whether Christian or Humanist or Unitarian or Buddhist, but the cool thing is that I get to choose. I have a choice! I don't have to follow the traditions of my parents or my friends. And you know what the best part is? It's fine! It is perfectly normal and okay to feel like I could learn so much from the world's traditions. I don't have to have a traditional label. SO. GREAT.
4. I really like meditating. I need so much more practice, but I really like it.
5. When I make lists, I really do get more done.
6. I came to terms with some things this month, and even if they aren't easy things to deal with it's good to know where I stand.
7. As much as I wish I knew how to cook, I know that I am good at making a happy home at dinner time. I mentioned in the last post about making dinner that one night? Well, I made a dinner table out of Dan's coffee table, complete with place mats made out of my new dish towels, bowls, forks, stemless wine glasses, napkins, and places for the food on the table. Oh yeah, and cool jazz in the background. So happy. :-)
8. New favorite beer: Sam Adams Winter Lager.
9. Trying new things is good. I've had two Saturdays as a radio DJ at KWLC and it's been awesome. A crash course in doing things I'm not comfortable with.
10. I enjoy teaching. Who knew? I started teaching four students and it's been so much fun! The small amount of income is nice, too, but it's great to feel like I'm helping these students become better players and at the same time reminding myself of the basics.


So, I've almost accomplished everything on my list from a couple weeks ago. I got my pinhole camera in the mail and constructed it last weekend. I've taken some pictures, but I'm not sure if it's working so hopefully I will get them developed over J-break. I haven't done as much conducting as I wanted to, but my schedule this month as been weird and unfortunately not conducive to free time spent on conducting. I met with my Baroque violin teacher this week, though, and got some ideas for rep, so we will start lessons next month.

I think I've been productive! I've done new things, practiced a bunch, cleaned my room several times, and worked out pretty consistently since January 1st. I'd say that's pretty successful. 

Here's to the last few days of class and quiet around campus!

No comments:

Post a Comment