November 9, 2011

georgia on my mind

I just put on some Vince Guaraldi Christmas music and it made me want to write a post. So here goes.

First snow of the season here in Decorah! It has mostly melted by now, but I thoroughly enjoyed looking out my window this morning to see white. I was so happy that I promptly fell back asleep for fifteen minutes.

See, the only thing about posting on a Wednesday afternoon is that I don't have much to say. I don't have much to say normally, but I seem to be more inspired in the evenings. However, Vince Guaraldi thinks otherwise today.

I think I posted a list of things I love about October last year. This year I'll list it up for November, how about that?


10 Things I Love About November:

1. Pumpkin-flavored everything in the caf and sweet potatoes. Every day.

2. I get to go home. I miss Georgia in the fall.

3. Thanksgiving. Obviously.

4. With Thanksgiving comes awesome traditions, like the Windham Hill Thanksgiving album that I put on repeat every year, and my dad's favorite mugs on his mug tree in the kitchen. Oh, and jigsaw puzzles and golf cart rides with the cousins.

5. Mom's cooking. Om to the nom. Pumpkin pie, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, her famous backed snack mix, fajitas, pumpkin soup, sandwich rings...

6. My mom is the best decorator, too. Her Thanksgiving-themed house is just fabulous in the fall. And the table decor when we sit down to eat... Picture perfect. She gives Martha Stewart a run for her money.

7. Family of Four (plus Evan) time. We sing carols around the piano, go to church and eat chili, engage in late night conversations on the couch with wine and candles, talk about everything from grad school to Mom's latest photography ventures. I have the most amazing family.

8. Snuggling with my dad in mornings when he comes to wake me up. He always brings me a cup of coffee, sets it on my bedside table so I can smell it, and then he sings me a song. Best way to wake up.

9. Concert Palooza at school. Symphony, Chamber, and Jazz concerts, not to mention two student chamber recitals that will blow all other chamber recitals out of the water. I'm biased, of course.

10. The feeling that Christmas is just right around the corner. It's in the air, people. Love it.



Here's to maple pecan spice cake, pretty scarves, and fresh snow. Happy Almost Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment